12.11.2011

i am a parent.

growing up my mom would always say she wished she could take the pain/sickness/hurt from us and carry it herself. mom, this week, i now fully understand your love and that you weren't just saying this to make me feel better; you meant it.

this week my poor little baby girl has four teeth growing in, a bad cold and two ear infections. yup, two. i wish every moment i could take it all away but i know i can't.

whew, parenting is tough. and honestly, i appreciate mine more now than ever.
and thankfully lillian knows no better than to love and trust me, and that carries me through because even when she is coughing and crying and upset, she looks at me with such love and content it makes me realize that wow, i am a parent and wow, i am so lucky.

my mom strategy? trust your gut. your instinct was around long before you were and we are all capable of love. something told me that i needed to take lilly to the dr and even though part of me doubted it (she was  only fussy for a day) i went, and i am so glad we did. she needed antibiotics and without me trusting my motherly instinct she wouldn't be getting the medicine she needs.

so, this week i have really come into my own as a parent. i have realized i am so meant for this job- not that i didn't feel that always, but just on a different level. i knew for a long time i was meant to be a mom, that i would figure things out as i went. but now, now i know that i know best. as my pediatrician said- i am the lillian expert.
and ya know what, it feels awesome.

4 comments:

  1. Also makes you appreciate having a healthy child. Remember all those parents who have to endure so much more sickness with their children. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Molly, I am so sorry that Lillian has had such a rough week. Hope she is feeling better soon, and that you're both getting some rest. We'll be sending healing thoughts her way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how sweet - Q, L, and Z have matching ear infections. good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to report lillian is on the up and up, slowly but we are getting there! suzanne, hope the same goes for zach!

    ReplyDelete