8.04.2010

here come the hormones...

i hear from a lot of women that they are hormonal in the first and the third trimester. well, seems like second trimester hit and my poor husband just got home- to me hormonally charged. granted he got to miss all the nausea and laziness i experienced in the first (for those of you who don't know he had an internship this summer in DC) but i think he might take that over some of my outbursts lately.
i have always been a very stubborn person, sometimes to my benefit but mostly to my detriment. thank goodness for my amazing hubby, because he deals with it, but this is like stubbornness and tears on steroids. poor man. i do love him so :)

hear is an updated picture!

(hank (the hubs) says this picture doesn't do the bump justice)

it is kind of blurry, but my whole midsection is much thicker and the bump is starting to show. especially when i am in my lululemon tanks (which i had to buy up a size yesterday, SO much comfier now!) the boobs have seemed to slow down, although i am sure that won't last long :)
haven't worn my maternity jeans yet, but, am looking forward to them. it has been unbelievably hot here, so jeans are just out of the question. my bikini and the pool have been my favorite accessories these days!

so maybe it was the hormones or maybe we just finally felt educated enough to make a decision, but we switched doctors, or i should say midwives. we were going to the women's health center at 100 oaks, and it was OK. as you all remember, our ultrasound wasn't the greatest experience the first time and although our second visit was better, i learned some key things (thanks to my mom!).
a. they are a mixed practice, so if i went into labor at night, only physicians are on call then and so we would not have the option of a midwife.
b. they offer a "centering program" which they automatically signed me up for when i got there. while there is nothing wrong with this program, it wasn't the one-on-one educational experience i was looking to have with my midwife.
c. they use residents in their practice, so a few strangers might show up while i am laboring, not really my idea of a good time. what if i ran into them one day?! awkward!

SO, they were very nice about referring me to the Vanderbilt Nurse Midwives Clinic, the only hospital based nurse-midwife practice in Nashville. I called them up and they do a free consultation so you can come in and learn about what they do before making an appt.. I went on Thursday and felt right at home. It was a much smaller practice, focused on intervention only with reason and making sure the whole experience was educational and amazing for mom, dad and baby. smile. i was so happy. this is exactly what i was looking for and am so thankful i realized i had the power to make that decision and do it! so, we have switched over! thanks to electronic records, it was a seamless switch. and even better, they are letting hank and i come in on monday to hear the heartbeat again, since he couldn't be there the first time!
midwives are not for everyone, but this is exactly what i was looking for, so if the natural route is your path or not- i highly recommend checking this practice out :)

off to yoga and work :) looking forward to my first class at yoga country tomorrow- yummy deep and stretchy!

have a great saturday!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Molly! Congrats on the pregnancy!! How exciting! I also go to West End Women's and have done so just for well-women visits (no babies for us yet!), and started going there because I did an internship with their clinical director my senior year in college. All the midwives are simply amazing. I think you will have a great birth experience with them and I am happy to hear that someone else likes the midwife route!

    Blessings,
    Liz Rohr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered/Andrew did, your amazing blog... haha. I don't want to know how. It was so great to talk to you today. I am so happy for you and Hank and can't wait to keeping following your blog. I am looking forward to your videos! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Liz, thanks so much! So glad to know you have had such a great experience with them. We are so happy to have found them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, too funny! I have been posting it on facebook, so he probably found it that way :) thanks for reading! love you!

    ReplyDelete